Sunday 5 October 2014

An Introduction to Liberty's Library

The idea for this blog, and indeed the name, Liberty's Library, was stemmed from many conversations with my friends.

As an English Literature (Under) Graduate, my friends always ask me what they should be reading. I swear half my books are on other people's bookshelves! Since I'm practically a lending library anyway, I thought I'd take my recommendations online.

I am THE BIGGEST bookworm and can read two books a day when I'm on form. So I have read a lot, and I know what's hot and what's not, as such!

I thought I'd kick off with the Book Challenge, something that's been making its way around Facebook recently. The idea is to list books that have stayed with you in some way. Hopefully this will reassure you that I'm into a bit of everything, and the books I write about on here are not going to be too repetitive.

1. Tom and Pippo Series by Helen Oxenbury


 
Book number one then is one of the first books I ever remember reading. When I was little and mum used to take me to the library I was obsessed with these books, borrowing a different one every week. I even persuaded my mum to buy me my own Pippo after reading these books!

2/3. The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank and Secrets by Jacqueline Wilson

 
 
Bit of a jump but The Diary of a Young Girl is probably the one book I read at primary school that completely stood out. Like most girls my age, I was obsessed with Jacqueline Wilson. In Secrets, India is fascinated by the story of Anne Frank to the extent their stories intertwine, and much more than you would expect. From reading Secrets, my own fascination with Anne's story began. I've read (and watched) various adaptations of her diary, and this expanded further in my degree - my dissertation was on Holocaust Literature.
 
 
4. The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged Thirteen and Three Quarters by Sue Townsend
 
 
 
My mum bought me this having read it herself as a teenager (already shows how this book is timeless). First published in 1982, it is  still totally relatable even in 2014. The trials and tribulations Adrian goes through are a rite of passage for young people, making this an absolutely hilarious read. I even styled my GCSE English coursework on it I found it so good.
 
 
5. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbowsky

 
*Definitely seeing a diary theme emerging here.*
Now a major movie starring Emma Watson, I was in love with Charlie way before the hype. Like Adrian, Charlie is a very relatable, loveable figure. The novel is also totally relatable, but in a completely different way - making the mess that is teenagehood suddenly seem normal. The rose tinted glasses childhood has of life is proved to be inaccurate, allowing us to embrace all that happens in our lives as it is what makes us who we are. Favourite line? We accept the love we think we deserve.
 
6.  Journey's End by RC Sherriff
 
 


Not strictly a book, but my teacher, (Mr Sewell)'s interpretation of Osborne was one of the many reasons I went on to do English at university. The way this play brought my entire class together demonstrates the power literature can have. I wish we could've seen it on stage, it really is a marvellous piece of writing.

7. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

 
My top romantic read for a cosy night in. (If you forget the virtually incestuous nature of the plot for a second.) Heathcliff's love for Cathy is the kind of love I've always aspired to have. The fact he can't even bear to be without her bones demonstrates what an intense love they had. And who wouldn't want to experience that in their life? Reading this book also led to my love of Kate Bush. What a woman!

8. Me Before You by Jojo Moyes


The only book on this list I haven't owned (though I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to own it - hint hint). You don't know anything about life until you have read this heart rendering piece of excellence by Jojo Moyes. Often mistaken at first glance as chick lit, rest assured - it is so much more than that. As I don't own a copy I have only read it once, but it has stayed with me through the years since. It is my go-to book for recommendations, and so far is yet to disappoint.




So there you go. Not overtly varied but I'll read anything once - and you can hold me to that! I will be posting a blog every Sunday, but in the mean time I can be found on Twitter @LibertyClare so get recommending! I want this blog to become a kind of library/book club so we can all take ideas from each other. Use the hashtag #libertyslibrary and get the conversation going :)

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment